Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Will I gain or lose weight?

At first glance the local diet definitely seems healthier. I haven’t had any candy, chips or chocolate. Over the last few days I have resisted fresh baked goods, extra coffees and a free fudge popsicle. On the other hand I’ve had way more nuts and butter which is certainly higher in fat. Oh, and in the absence of olive or vegetable oil, I’ ve been frying my eggs and veggies in bacon grease! It’s diabetes vs heart disease. There is only one way to truly answer this question. 

Jessie Sadler – 114lb. Let’s see what my weight will be on the 31st. Place your bets!  Who knows maybe I will spend the month of September doing the latest Hollywood diet craze.   







And how about a recipe- with butter, cashews and bacon grease. 

 Stuffed Acorn Squash
1 Acorn Squash
¾ cup Shaved Carrot
3 green onions
1 clove garlic
1 bunch swiss chard
½ cup stinging nettle buffalo milk cheese from Canreg Station Farm
2 tbsp fresh ground wheat
2 tbsp crushed cashews
1 tsp salt
Butter
Bacon grease
Cut the squash in half; discard the seeds. Place squash cut side down in a baking pan and add ½ in water. Bake at 350 for 40-50 min. Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat bacon grease sauté carrots, onions and garlic for 4 min. Add swiss chard and salt and cook until soft. Once squash is done baking stuff it with the carrot mixture then sprinkle bread crumbs and cashews on top. Dot with butter. Bake 15 min longer. Sprinkle with cheese and cook on broil until cheese is melted. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe!
    I am all over a variation of this that does not include bacon grease, haha... I'll let you know how it turns out!

    And I wager my bet... Hate to say it, but I'm going with gain, hehe!

    ReplyDelete